Saturday, March 7, 2015

delicate thoughts

All winter long, I have been estranged from my studio.  Now the late-season low sun comes in, and I find it a peaceful seat.  Cleaning, rearranging, touching, wondering....what will happen here?  It feels flat too often. But today, there is a delicate feel to this moment, and I gently unfold the Japanese wrapping paper, and lay it on the floor to peruse. Leslie Blair saved it for a long time, and then one day decided that it should be mine to create with.  I think in 3D more often, but have been seeing much in 2D lately.  I am thinking of delicate embellishments on this paper...stitiches, thin overlays, etc.  maybe some cut-outs would be good here....there is an existing fan shape already cut in the paper...but fans do little for me.  
I see I'll have to be careful with this special paper, but also fearless with what I might do to it.  If I approach this with trepidation, it will be too "safe" of a piece.  Makes me think of Project Runway.  Every time a designer worked a safe design, they were chastized for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment